|Height:||10 – 30+|
Note: Price is for 1 plant
Cryptocoryne walkeri, commonly known as “Walkers’ Crypt,” is a species of aquatic plant that belongs to the family Araceae. It is a popular choice among aquarium hobbyists due to its attractive appearance and ease of care. Here are some key facts about Cryptocoryne walkeri:
- Appearance: Cryptocoryne walkeri typically has dark green, strap-like leaves that grow from a central rootstock. The leaves can grow to be about 10-15 cm (4-6 inches) in length and form a dense rosette. The plant may develop a reddish-brown coloration under intense light or with nutrient deficiencies.
- Habitat: Cryptocoryne walkeri is native to Sri Lanka, where it is found in slow-moving rivers, streams, and marshes. It prefers soft to moderately hard water with a pH range of 6.0-7.5 and temperatures between 22-28°C (72-82°F).
- Care requirements: Cryptocoryne walkeri is generally considered to be a hardy and low-maintenance plant. It can be grown in a variety of aquarium setups, from low-tech to high-tech tanks. It does best in substrate-rich tanks with moderate lighting and nutrient-rich water. It prefers to be planted in the substrate rather than floating or attached to rocks or driftwood.
- Propagation: Cryptocoryne walkeri reproduces through rhizome division, where new plants sprout from the base of the parent plant. This process can happen naturally over time or can be encouraged by manually dividing the rhizomes and replanting them.
- Common uses: Cryptocoryne walkeri is often used as a midground or foreground plant in aquariums, providing a lush, green carpet-like appearance. It can also be used in paludariums or terrariums that mimic the natural habitat of the plant.
- Potential challenges: Cryptocoryne walkeri can be susceptible to melt, which is a process where the leaves may decay and disintegrate when the plant is introduced to a new environment. However, with proper care and acclimatization, the plant can recover and start new growth.
Overall, Cryptocoryne walkeri is a popular and relatively easy-to-care-for aquatic plant that can add beauty and natural appeal to freshwater aquariums or paludariums.
Not all plants are equal. We work really hard to make sure you get the best quality plants at the best prices. What you can expect to receive are as per photos. All our plants are harvested fresh, algae free and in great health. The conversion process to submerged form starts in our grow out tanks, this ensures that your success with our plants are maximized.
We recommend the usage of a 2HR Aquarist Fertilizer with all our aquarium plants for the best growth, colouration and plant health.
Submerged: A plant grown completely below the tank’s waterline.
Emersed: A plant with growth above the tank’s waterline (leaves/stems, flowers).